Header Ads

Spending a fortune on games

Steam sale have been up for a week now. Lots of cheap games up for grabs and also many new games, patch, expansions and event microtransection.
For the on going summer sale that is happening. Today I will talk about how I have been budgeting my finance.

To start off, I have a lot of games that I bought so far that I hardly touch from humblebundles and steam sales, all because it cheap. On top of that I hardly touch them. Partially is that working does take a lot of time and energy out. Also painting to play the latest games also takes out time for me to play back old games, especially those "progress grinding" games.
This post will serve as a reminder for me not to keep buying games when ever there is a sale.
Let's start.

Sale is always nice, but having a stock pile of games that you get but never play is bad, I call this game hoarding.

For me, I categorize the library of games into multi play and single play. Multi play games are usually the games you get today, MMO and large battlefield team games. Single play games are those games that I will play solo ( even with multiplayer feature on it ).

I am willing to pay full price for a lot of games last time including pre-order. But it has to change, as a lot of false marketing happened lately, crazy premium package prices and also reducing bad buys.
There are some good practice I learn throughout the years.

  • 1. Never pre-order games. I learn this the hard way, wasting money that I could save. ( however there are certain condition that you can pre-order as below )
  • 2. Optional, If the below condition is fulfilled you can opt to pre order the game. 
  • -mentally prepared that the game will fail.
  • -preferably a game that you have friends to play DAY 1 and consistently for at least a month. ( I will explain this more on another post )
  • Always hunt for small discount. ( And ment actual cash discount, in game items does not cut it )
  • personally I felt that setting only 2-3 title per year for "pre-order" is acceptable. The rest should go for after review buys and discounted pile.
  • 3. All single play / single player games should always go for discount unless refer 2.
  • 4. Always aim for half prices games especially on sale time. If possible 75% off ( usually this helps me by not over buying games )


These are the guidelines that I have follow loosely and seen some good results. Although I have slack a little in the pre order department, mainly in keeping pre order title at the minimum. This is because I have set a budget for me to buy games to grow my you tube channel.
Next I will talk about how much is too expansive, and cost vs entertainment value
Brought to you by Average Casual Gamer since 2014. Powered by Blogger.